Danaus plexippus is the scientific name for Monarch Butterflies. Just like you, they fly thousands of miles to migrate. Their ability to find their way to their ancestors’ winter homes, and then find their ways back to the place they left in spring makes them seem like the strongest, smartest, and toughest of all the butterflies. That is the way our services will make you will feel through your relocation process to Spain.
  • We have been in your shoes and know that settling in a new country can be challenging, so we want to make it easy for you.
  • All our relocation services are designed to help you to settle into your new life stress free, because relocation should be exciting, not stressful.
  • Expats may choose between our prepared packages or request a personalized services package that better adapts to your needs.
  • Affordable and quality relocation services in English and Spanish.
  1. Get in touch: Give us a call or send us an email and a helpful member of our team will explain our services and find the best way to help you to have a successful and stress-free transition to your new life in Spain.
  2. Choose your services: We will send you a detailed estimate with your services package, and we will start the process once the agreement is signed.
  3. Settle in: While you are settling in we will continue to be here to support you with any questions that you may have.


You will need to apply for several local documents in order to live, study and work legally whilst in Spain.

  • Número /Tarjeta de Identidad Extranjero (NIE / TIE):
    • NIE: This is the number assigned to foreign nationals living in Spain. Once you are resident for more than 3 months you will be required have one. The NIE will be required for all administrative procedures such as opening a bank account, registering with social security, purchasing an internet subscription, or digital certificate among others.
    • TIE: Non-EU citizens with a visa or authorization to stay in Spain for a period greater than 6 months are required to apply for the TIE once they arrive in Spain. This is an identity card in addition to your NIE.
  • Empadronamiento: is an official document stating where you live.  It is used as proof of address and will be needed to get access to most of the public services such as education, health care, resident parking, sport centers etc.
  • Social security number: This is required to legally work in Spain. You will need to request the so called “número de afiliación” so that your employer can request your social security number.
  • Spanish healthcare card: This is the public medical coverage card that gives you access to the Spanish National Healthcare System. This may be issued to you if you are legally resident in Spain, and if you meet certain conditions. To apply for the card, you must provide the following documents: Empadronamiento, social security number and NIE/TIE.
  • Opening a Bank account: will surely make your life easier in Spain.  You will need one when signing a lease, electricity contract, Wi-Fi subscription, etc. Some banks may take a commission on withdrawals made outside your bank, hence the importance of knowing how to choose the most advantageous bank
One of the requirements to get the Spanish residence and/or visa is to provide proof that you have public, or private, health insurance. This can be insurance you have contracted in Spain, or in another country, that covers you and your family in Spain during your period of residence. Pensioners meet this condition by providing proof of health care at the expense of the State from which they receive a pension. European students can provide the European Health Insurance Card.
A free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. Students under the age of 26 studying abroad in Spain and EEA citizens temporarily visiting Spain are encouraged to request a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their country of origin before coming to Spain.

Where to live in Madrid depends on your preferences. Madrid has a neighborhood for everyone. Here are our favorites:

Retiro is without a doubt the best neighborhood in Madrid for families. It is the closet to the Retiro Park, and the greenest of the city. This is one of the areas most demanded by expats. Retiro is a great area for walking and sports. It is super family friendly and there are plenty of restaurants and bars.

Chamberi has beautiful architecture, and a Parisian kind of look. It is a great place to live due to its central location and relaxed atmosphere. Families love the park at Canal which is a great place for sports. There are some lovely squares with playgrounds, and plenty of places to eat and shop. Chamberi has good schools and is filled with activities for kids.

Salamanca is one of the most exclusive areas in Madrid. Expats will find high-end shops, fancy restaurants, and some of the most expensive real estate in the capital. Also, a very family-oriented area of the city, with lot of playgrounds. and the public schools here are considered the best of Madrid.

Madrid offers a wide selection of public tennis courts around the city.

The “Federation de Tenis de Madrid (FTM)” has different club locations around the city: Fuencarral, Canal de Isabel II, Puerta de Hierro, La Bombilla etc.to name a few. The most in demand is the club at Canal de Isabel II. To book a tennis court or paddle court with the FTM, you should do it through the app “Playtomic”.

Download the app and book your court, join matches, or look for tennis classes.

You can also book public tennis court at the Retiro, Casa de Campo and many other locations through the “Ayuntamiento de Madrid”. Go to https://deportesweb.madrid.es/DeportesWeb/Menus and select “Reservar de espacios” then choose the location where you want to play, i.e. “La Chopera” (which is the name of the sport center inside the Retiro). Then select the tennis (or the activity you would like to reserve, and finally select date and time.

You do not need to be registered or have an electronic certificate to book a tennis court.


Spain has three different types of school:

  • Public schools: These are lay centers directly funded and managed by the central government and local administrations. Children typically need to be registered with the local city hall (empadronamiento) to enroll in school, the following documents are usually required: the child’s ID, proof of residence, a medical certificate, and the parents’ ID and NIE.
    If you decide for a public school you should know that your child should get a place in the school, but it does not mean that school will be the first you chose from the list.
  • Concertados (semi-private): These schools are privately run and State subsidized. Families pay a fee but are partially financed by the government. Most of this schools are catholic, however the curricula on religions tends to be diverse and not necessarily Catholic-focused.
    There is a general perception that education in these schools is of a high standard than in public schools.
    The application process is the same that for public schools.
  • Private schools: These schools are independently managed and funded but the student’s families. In many cases may operate differently from public schools in terms of school hours, syllabus, or even school breaks. There are many choices of private schools: bilingual English-Spanish schools; Catholic schools; international schools; British or foreign language schools for French, German, or other languages.
    Regarding the admission and enrollment process, in general, you must provide school reports and other qualifying exams, such as one covering ESL (English as a Second Language), from the last two years to prove your child has sufficient knowledge of the primary language. Your child may be informally interviewed by the teachers or asked to take an entrance test. You may also provide school reports, medical records, photocopy of the birth certificate or and application form from the school.
    Every family, every child is different. Get in touch, together we will find not only a good school but a GREAT for your family.

Foreigners wishing to stay in Spain to study, carry out research, training or unpaid internship activities, participate in student exchanges, or perform volunteer services, must obtain the corresponding visa, which will include the initial authorization to stay in Spain. However, nationals of certain countries are exempted from the visa requirement provided that the duration of their stay in Spain does not exceed three months.

When the duration of the authorized stay exceeds six months, foreign citizens holding a visa to study, carry out research, training or unpaid internship activities, participate in student exchanges, or perform volunteer services, must apply for the foreign student identity card at the corresponding Foreigners Office or Police Station.

Citizens of the European Union and their family members, provided that the latter travel with or meet said citizens, are subject to a specific legal system based on the rights recognized in the Treaties.

Source: exteriores.gob.es/Portal/en/ServiciosAlCiudadano/InformacionParaExtranjeros/Paginas/Estudiar.aspx

Find all the information you need in this document

Open chat
How can we help you?

We are happy to help you.